Sunday, October 29, 2006

Radio

Radio
An apparatus for receiving or transmitting radio broadcasts.

I was on my way to school the other day, Wednesday to be exact, listening to the radio and trying to beat the almost-rush-hour traffic. The point being - I was only semi-listening. I heard the radio DJ say something about giving away James Blunt concert tickets, whose show is tomorrow night. I had always promised myself that once I had a cell phone I would try using it in moments just like these. I continued to drive, continued to not pay much attention but had my ears trained to pick up "tickets" and "contest"... Game on!

Just as I was merging onto another road I hear "and now, caller 17 wins the tickets"! While continuing the merge, I picked up the phone, dialed the number and began to pay closer attention to the radio. Busy. Try again. Busy. Try again. Ring ring ring... Hmm... what could this mean?

"Hello, this is (whatever his name is) at (whatever station). Who am I talking to?" I tell him my name. "And why are you calling Karyn?" I begin to say that I'm calling for tickets, when he interrupts and says "tickets"? Well... "Karyn, I've very pleased to tell you that you are in fact caller number 17!" At this moment, I kinda freaked. Like not crazy freaked, but was extremely excited! He got my address, phone number, all the important info. Then he kinda puzzled me... "So Karyn, how many kids do you have"? Um... my response of course being "none". "Oh (long pause), well were you planning on taking your boyfriend to the concert?" I responded with something about that being the plan, but the forehead wrinkles were rapidly forming. I had no idea what was happening, but I was quickly discovering that maybe I had jumped the gun a little too quickly. "Well, does your boyfriend like Clifford the Big Red Dog Karyn?" Shoot! I just won myself a family pack to Clifford the Big Red Dog! So embarrassed! I could feel the blood rush to my head! "You thought you were calling for James Blunt, didn't ya Karyn?" Quit saying my name! Deep down I was hoping that this would not become a topic over the radio. He persuaded me to give up the win and try back in half an hour for Mr. Blunt.

Of course I wasn't able to play for the James Blunt tickets after all, as I was in class. But, to top this story right off... I got to class, which is quite small and informal, and proceeded to tell everyone my humiliating tale. I knew it'd make people laugh and I was right, it was good times. Just as I finish telling my story (and I have witnesses to prove this is true) another girl walks in, quite excited and says; "guess what? I just won tickets to see James Blunt"!!!

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

4 Comments:

Blogger tmosh said...

dang - too funny Karyn too funny!
glad to see you are putting the cell to good use - try to listen a little better next time ; )

5:12 PM  
Blogger Ashmonia said...

Oh my!!!
Thank you so much for that story of your day karyn! It sure did make me literally laugh out loud!! haha. Good times!!! That was awesome! Maybe next time you will win! :)
take care of yourself!!
ashley

3:19 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Ha ha! That really made me laugh! I say you should've gone for the Clifford tickets anyway!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Hi, I don't know you, but I heard some stuff about you after everyone came back from camp, I'm here in Saskatoon with M:180 and I'm friends with Ashley and Trav and the like of them. I just wanted to comment to say....that story is too funny! I think I might have laughed nervously, or at myself and then everybody would have heard me, lol. Anyways, nice to read your blog!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home